Tuesday, June 30, 2015

5. A New Beginning

The pictures and diplomas are off the walls and packed away, the desks emptied, our name scraped off the front door glass, the lights are turned off, and this silent and empty place is locked and secured as I turn the key one last time.  Our famous outdoor sign, now a blank green panel, stares back at all the passersby who steadily stream past our threshold.  At the end of the day, in a torrent rain as lightning split the sky in half, Diane and I dashed to the car and left our old office behind in appropriately dramatic fashion.  To boost our soggy spirits, we feast on pizza; surely the finest food for the soul.

Tomorrow, July 1st, marks a new beginning for Diane and me.  Most who know me are aware that throughout my legal career I have had a second occupation as an artist and photographer. Of course, my law practice took precedence and opportunities to practice my avocation were severely limited, particularly in the last few years.  All of that changes now as I take on the mantle of “full-time artist”.  Diane is anxious to assist me and for that I am truly grateful.  I have a gut feeling that all of this will take some adjustment... but I am excited and can’t wait to get started.  On the other hand, a few days off is sounding pretty good right now.

I’ll report back here on our transition at the end of the year, if not before.  Meanwhile, anybody can follow my progress on my website, Fine Art by Bob Bickers (http://bobbickers.net) and on my Art Blog (http://fineartbybobbickers.blogspot.com).

No comments:

Post a Comment